Drop Down Menu




Welcome to Explore Business Portal New Page 1

Marriage Solemnization at Indian Consulate

Click here for Mobile View

Marriages solemnized at the Consulate are between two individuals at least one of whom is an Indian with a residence visa of UAE. Certain procedural formalities are to be completed before the marriage is solemnized.

For registering weddings at the Indian mission, both the bride and groom have to be UAE residents and at least one of them should be an Indian citizen.

Signatures of three witnesses, along with documents including proof of wedding notice in newspapers published 30 days prior to the date of marriage and consent from the parents of both the bride and the groom, are mandatory requirements for solemnisation of a marriage.

A grade one officer of the government of India is usually appointed as a Marriage Officer at Indian missions.

They are authorised to solemnise or register marriages in missions abroad under Foreigners Marriage Act when at least one of the applicants is Indian. Indians living abroad can also solemnise or register marriages between Indian nationals of any faith or religion under the Foreigners Marriage Act or the Special Marriage Act.

Indians, who have held their wedding functions at places of worships, also visit the mission to register their marriage.

Submitting the documents, taking the oath and providing the signatures are the only 'rituals' of weddings taking place on -Thursdays- at the mission.

Taking an oath in front of the Marriage Officer is not mandatory for couples who are already married and just seeking the registration of their marriage.

Some couples exchange rings or garlands after the formal registration and exchanging wedding vows. Some couples dress up for the occasion in the traditional way. But, most of them usually keep it simple.

Faq's on Marriages

What are the procedures for getting married at the Consulate?
The procedure for getting married at the Consulate is as follows:

+ The prospective bride and groom need to appear in person/before the Marriage Officer along with 3 witnesses having residence visas.

+ They need to submit the prescribed form titled Notice of Intended Marriage duly filled in along with a fee of Dh200 in cash. The form consists of notice, declaration and sworn affidavit.
+ Prescribed format for publication of Notice in newspaper is given. (Details below).

+ After publication, the prospective couple needs to wait for 30 days. A date for solemnization of marriage is given provided no objections are received from any quarter.

+ A day prior to the date of solemnization of marriage, original passports of the couple and witnesses are required to be submitted to the Marriage officer.

+ On the scheduled date the prospective couple along with three witnesses has to come to the Consulate for solemnization of marriage.

What documents are to be submitted prior to marriage at the Consulate?
The documents to be submitted are as follows:

+ Notice of Intended Marriage

+ 4 Passport size photos each of the prospective bride and groom

+ Photocopy of the passport and residence visa of the bride or groom, whoever is an Indian national.

+ Photocopy of passports of 3 witnesses having residence visa.

+ The prospective bride and groom and the 3 witnesses should also carry their original passports for verification at the time of submission of Notice.

When are the signatures to be put up by the prospective bride and groom and the witnesses?
+ This needs to be done at the time of submission of Notice in front of the concerned Consulate officer.

What formalities are to be completed before the marriage can be solemnized?

+ Notice in the prescribed format is to be published in widely circulated newspapers in home country, at the place of permanent residence as indicated in the passports of bride and groom, and in UAE. Approximate charge of newspaper Ad (Dh150 in UAE & Rs4000 in India).

+ In case both bride and groom are from same state in India , notice is to be published only in one news paper of that particular state

+ After the publication of Notice, the applicants are required to submit the concerned newspapers.

What formalities are to be completed before the marriage can be solemnized if one among the prospective couple is:
(a) Not an Indian?

+ A No-Impediment (singleness) Certificate is to be obtained from their respective Consulate, which should be duly attested by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of UAE.

+ In case, where the Consulate does not issue such a certificate, a sworn affidavit attested by the respective Consulate of the non-Indian applicant needs to be submitted.

+ A certificate from the Consulate of Non-Indian applicant stating that their country's respective law does not prohibit their nationals from getting married to foreign nationals

(b) A divorcee?
A decree of divorce duly attested by the Home Department of the respective State Government in India, in case the divorce had taken place in India. In case divorce has taken place in UAE, the divorce certificate needs to be attested by MOFA, UAE.

(c) A UAE national?
A no objection letter from the Foreign Ministry of UAE is to be obtained.

How is the prospective couple informed about the date of solemnization of marriage and when?

There is a mandatory wait period of 30 days after publication of advertisement in the newspapers. The prospective couple can contact the Consulate on any day after publication of advertisement to fix up a date for solemnization of marriage which is generally on the Thursday following the completion of 30 days or any Thursday after that.

When are the prospective bride and groom and the 3 witnesses required to submit their original passports?

+ They are required to do this one day before the actual solemnization of marriage. The passports are returned immediately after the solemnization along with marriage certificate.

Whether parents of the prospective bride and bridegroom will be informed about the submission of Notice of Intended Marriage?

+ Information is sent to the respective parents by way of dispatch of a copy of Form-I, which forms a part of the Notice of Intended Marriage.

Whether people from different religions can marry?

+ Yes. People from different religions can marry under Indian law.

What is the law under which marriage is solemnized?

+ The marriage is solemnized under Foreign Marriage Act 1969.

+ Indian Consulate Address, Dubai:
Al Hamariya, Diplomatic Enclave, Bur Dubai, Dubai, U.A.E.
Tel: +971.4.3971 222 / 397 1333 Fax : +971.4.397 0453
Email: cgidubai@eim.ae
Office Timing: Sun to Thurs (8 am to 4:30 pm)
Consular Service Timing: Sun to Thurs (8 am to 12 pm)

+ Indian Embassy- Abu Dhabi, U.A.E:
Tel : 02 449 2700
Fax: 02-444 4685
Website: www.indembassyuae.org
Email: indiauae@emirates.net.ae
Related Pages
Additional booklet
Address Change-Indian Passport
Affidavit for maid visa-Indian Consulate
Affidavit to apply passport for children in India
Affidavit to Sponsor Dependants
Change of Name
Change of Address
Change of spouse in Passport
Correction of Date of Birth
Date of Birth Correction
Death Certificate Attestation
Death related documents required to repatriate body to India or to cremate in Dubai.
Documents required for bringing Servant
Emergency Certificate
Employment contract for unskilled labour sponsored by a company
FAQs Passport Rules
FAQs Consulate Procedures
Housemaid 'No Relationship' Affidavit
Indian Driving License attestation
IVS Global (Indian Embassy/Consulate Attestation Centre)
Loss of Passport
Maid Visa
Sponsored by an Expatriate
Marriage Attestation from Consulate
Minority Certificate from Kerala Government
Name Change
Newborn baby's Passport
NRI Certificate
No Relation Certificate for Sponsoring Maid
Out pass
Passport for newborn baby
Passport in lieu of lost
Passport Damage
Passport in Maiden name
Passport in Married name
Passport Renewal
Passport Validity extension
Photo Change
Police Clearance Certificate (PCC)
Power of Attorney
Protector of Emigrants
Refund of Security Deposit - Housemaid
Salary Certificate Attestation
Servant Visa-new
Servant Visa Renewal
Sponsorship Declaration
Spouse name Endorsement
Surrender of Indian Passport
Tatkal Service
TC Attestation
Tourist Visa on Arrival in India
Undertaking for Studies
Validity extension
Visa on Arrival in India
Visit Affidavit for Family Member
Wages of Indian Workers
Will Attestation

Affidavit to Sponsor Dependants

Address Change


  Back |

Printer-Friendly version

Print Page  | Email this article



Tell a Friend


Welcome to First Gate Business Service

Abscond Reporting | Adding Partner & Removing Partner in LLC Lic | Additional Booklet | Address Change | Affidavit for Child's Passport | Affidavit for Maid Visa-Indian Consulate | Agreements | Annual Leave | Attestation | Ban-1Year | Bank Guarantee Refund | Birth in Dubai | Business Set-Up in Dubai | Branch of a Foreign Company | Cancellation | Certificate Attestation | Change of Address | Change of Name | Change of Spouse Name | Changing Employment & Family Visa without Exit | Cheque Bounce | Children sponsored by mother | Civil Company | Company law | Consulate Procedures for Maid Visa | Consulate Works-Ind | Contracting Lic-Renew | Credit Card Debt | Damaged Passport | Date of Birth Correction Death Cert. Attestation | Death Cases | Death Compensation | DED Fees | DED Services | Dependent sponsorship | Designations | Detach Child from Mother's Passport | DNRD Locations | DOHMS Fees | Driving License | Driving License AttestationECNR | Education Visa | Educational Institution | E-Gate | Ejari-Tenancy Contract Registration | Embassies & Consulates | Emergency Leave |Emirates ID | Emirates ID Lost | Employment ban | Employment Contract-Ind.Consulate | Employment Visa | Employment Visa during Ban | Employment Visa Renew | Employment Visa Stamping-new | Employment rules |E-Signature Card | FAQs-Visa | Family Visa Abu Dhabi | Family Visa-Ajman | Family Visa Cancellation | Family Visa-Dubai | Family Visa hold | Family Visa Renew | Family Visa Sharjah | Family Visa Stamping-After Entry | Fines | Freehold Property Visa | Free Zones | Fujairah Free Zone | General Trading | Gratuity | Housemaid Affidavit | Husband's Residence Visa | Immigration Clearance | Immigration Establishment Card | Immigration Card Renew | Immigration Card Amendment | Immigration Card Lost | Immigration Office | Immigration Services | Important Telephone Numbers | Import Code | Indian Maid- Change Visa inside UAE | India Tourist Visa | Industrial Projects | Inheritance | International Driving Permit | Investor Visa | Investor Visa Stamping | Investor Visa Renew | Investor/Partner Visa Cancellation | IVS Global | Jebel Ali Free Zone | Labour Card Renewal l Labour Contract | Labour Contract FAQs | Labour Contract-New (after entry) | Labour Dispute | Labour Establishment Card | Labour Establishment Card Amendment | Labour Law | Labour Services | Legalization at UAE Embassy | License Cancellation | License Modification at DM | License Renewal - Contracting | Limited Contract | LLC formation | Local Service Agent | Location Change (license) | Loss of Passport | Lost Labour Card | Lost Reporting | Maid from Nepal | Maid from Sri Lanka | Maid Visa-New | Maid Visa Stamping | Maid Visa Renewal | Map of Consulates | Maternity Leave | Marriage Solemnization at Consulate | Media License Medical Facility Licensing | Medical Treatment Visa | Medical Test | Mission Visa | Modify Contractor Regn.-Foreign Co.| MoH & DoH Exams | Multiple Entry Visa | Municipality Activities | Municipality Exam | Municipality Services | Newborn Baby's Passport | Newborn Baby's Visa | New Contracting Lic | NOC for issuance of Passport for Child | Notarization | Notice Period | NRI Certificate | Nursery | Occupational Disease | Occupational Health Card | OK to Board | Online Service | Out Pass | Overtime | Parents Visa-New | Parents Visa Stamping-After Entry | Parents Visa Renew Partnership Agreements | Partner Visa | Part-time Job | Passport in Maiden Name | Passport in Married Name | Passport Lost | Passport Renewal-Ind | Passport Additional Booklet | Passport Validity Extension | PCC Attestation-UAE Embassy Delhi | PCC Dubai | PCC-India | PCC Out of Country | Pharmacist Exam | Pharmacy License | Photo Change | Police Clearance Certificate-UAE | Police Related Services | Power of Attorney | Probation Period | PRO Card-DED | PRO Card -Immig | PRO Card-Labor | Profession Change | Professional Firm | Professional License | Professions | Real Estate License | Registration of Engineer-DM | Re-entry | Removing Partner & Adding Partner in LLC Lic | Residence Visa | Resignation | RTA Related Business Activities | RTA Related Services | Salary Certificate Attestation | Salary Increment | Saudi Visa | Servant Visa | Severance Pay | Sharjah Visa rules | Sole Establishment | Sponsorship Declaration | Spouse Name Endorsement | Status Change | Student Visa | Surrender of Indian Passport | Tas'heel Centers-MOL | Tas'heel Business Center-for DED Services | Tatkaal Passport | Tawasul Card new | Tawasul Card Renew | TC Attestation-Consulate | Teenager Visa | Termination of Contract | Thailand Visa | Theft Car | Tourist Visa | Trademark Registration | Transfer Visa from old Passport to new | Transit Visa | Trade License | Trade License Renewal | Translation | UAE Embassies World-wide | UAE Legal System | UK VisaCentre-Dubai | Umrah Visa | Undertaking for Studies | Unpaid Salary | Validation letter-Driving LicenseVisa Cancellation-Employment |  Visa Cancellation-Investor/Partner | Visa Change-Hatta | Visa for Step-child | Visa on Arrival-Dubai | Visa on Arrival-India | Visa on Arrival-Qatar | Visa Position Amendment | Visas of two countries | Visa Renew-son above 18 years old | Visa Transfer | Visa Transfer-Child | Visa Transfer-wife | Visit Affidavit for Family Member | Visit Visa | Will Attestation | Work in UAE | Work Permit | Work Permit for relative sponsored | more


First Gate Business Service, Office No.2, Al Shamsi Building, Near Zulekha Hospital, Opp. Al Madeena Supermarket, AL NAHDA-2, Qusais, Dubai, United Arab Emirates Tel.+9714-239 1302, 04-252 22 22, 04-265 8373, 04-258 6727 Email: visaprocess.ae@gmail.com