UAE bad debts: How runaway borrowers can clear names, return to UAE
Posted on: Mon 19-Dec-2016
1. Find a representative

Appoint a lawyer or authorised person in the UAE to double check if there have been cases filed against you, and to talk to the lenders on your behalf. Any representative, including legal professionals, might need to present a Special Power of Attorney, although in most cases, banks will accept a simple authorization letter mentioning the account details of the customer as well as the details of the representative.
2. Negotiate with the bank

Unpaid balances, including the terms of your credit, are not set in stone. As it is the main priority of the banks to get back their money, they are open to other payment options.
For instance, if you have a Dh200,000 unpaid debt, you may be able to convince the bank to waive the fines and penalties and bring it down to Dh140,000, or to any amount that you can realistically afford to pay. You can also agree on a new instalment plan.
There’s a caveat about appointing a non-lawyer representative, however. He may not be in the best position to convince the bank to substantially reduce the outstanding balance. “The banks will not simply waive their penalties and fines. The negotiator should be able to point out the relevant laws and defences available to be able to bargain for a lower amount of payment,” noted Barney Almazar, director at the corporate-commercial department of Gulf Law Middle East, Philippines and United Kingdom.
“It is possible to appoint a representative other than a lawyer to assist you (unless the particular case is likely to involve the courts and/or the public prosecutor, in which case it would be advisable to engage a lawyer,” said Paul Hughes, legal director of commercial litigation at Addleshaw Goddard Middle East.
3. Put down everything in writing

Once a verbal agreement has been reached, have everything written down and signed: get a settlement agreement drawn up by the bank. This must be signed/released first before handing over the payment. This document must bear the letterhead of the bank, duly signed by a bank official and stamped with the bank’s seal.
Do not, under any circumstances, hand over the money if there is no written verbal agreement. This paper is for the protection of the borrower, as it prohibits the bank from making future payment claims outside the agreed amount. There’s no need to have this signed in front of a police officer. This should be obtained whether or not there is a court case, police complaint or arrest warrant.
“Based on our experience, those who were promised discounted fees, after paying, were again being asked to make additional payments. The bank agent would claim that the discount was not approved by the management, and therefore, the customer had to add more money,” explained Almazar.
“The customer will find it difficult to prove the agreement with the bank, as it was not in writing. Usually, the demand for additional payment is made after sometime, and the agent who made the agreement has already resigned or been transferred to another department, and the customer is left problematic.”
Hughes cautioned that the settlement agreement does not automatically clear the borrower of any legal charges. “It is the creditor who will have to take steps to withdraw the police complaint at which point the arrest warrant should be cancelled,” Hughes noted.
4. Ask for a clearance letter and "release" document

Once the payment has been made, you need to secure at least two documents from the bank to clear your records. The clearance paper will serve as proof that you have settled all your dues with the creditor. This will also prove useful to those who have pending cases, as the police would require the same document to withdraw any charges filed against the borrower. The bank can issue the clearance letter on the same or following day, or this can take up to two weeks.
The “release” document will serve as proof that the bank has withdrawn its complaint against the customer. The paper can be obtained on the same day you have requested for the clearance certificate.
“If your negotiation with the bank includes the bank itself clearing your records with the police on your behalf (meaning, you don't need to go to their lawyers and the police, the process may take about two weeks as they do these in batches. If your representative will do it personally, clearance from bank may take a day or he can even wait for the bank to issue it on the same day. Release from lawyer can also be secured personally on the same day you go to the lawyer’s office,” said Almazar.
5. Submit the release paper to the authorities

Your representative must proceed to the police station where the case has been filed and hand over the release document, to confirm that your lender is no longer after you, according to Almazar.
6. Obtain a police clearance certificate

Once the case has been cleared at the police station level, your representative can move on to the police main headquarters to apply for a clearance, if necessary. “[Obtaining a police clearance] is optional only,” said Almazar. “Once the case has been cleared with the police (the police will delete it from the system and give a verbal confirmation), the person can enter UAE without any problem. However, if you prefer to have a written confirmation that you don't have any case, apply for a police clearance certificate.
For those who want to secure a police clearance certificate, they need to start the process with the nearest UAE embassy. “This will involve fingerprinting and your documents will have to be authenticated. Then you will need to provide a power of attorney to your representative in the UAE to file the application with the police,” said Almazar.
7. Travel back to UAE

Once you secure all the documents, you are now ready to restart your life in the UAE. Upon returning, make sure you have the documents on hand. By now, your police and immigration records would have been wiped clean. (GN)



Welcome to First Gate Business Service

Abscond Reporting | Adding Partner & Removing Partner in LLC Lic | Additional Booklet | Address Change | Affidavit for Child's Passport | Affidavit for Maid Visa-Indian Consulate | Agreements | Annual Leave | Attestation | Ban-1Year | Bank Guarantee Refund | Birth in Dubai | Business Set-Up in Dubai | Branch of a Foreign Company | Cancellation | Certificate Attestation | Change of Address | Change of Name | Change of Spouse Name | Changing Employment & Family Visa without Exit | Cheque Bounce | Children sponsored by mother | Civil Company | Company law | Consulate Procedures for Maid Visa | Consulate Works-Ind | Contracting Lic-Renew | Credit Card Debt | Damaged Passport | Date of Birth Correction Death Cert. Attestation | Death Cases | Death Compensation | DED Fees | DED Services | Dependent sponsorship | Designations | Detach Child from Mother's Passport | DNRD Locations | DOHMS Fees | Driving License | Driving License AttestationECNR | Education Visa | Educational Institution | E-Gate | Ejari-Tenancy Contract Registration | Embassies & Consulates | Emergency Leave |Emirates ID | Emirates ID Lost | Employment ban | Employment Contract-Ind.Consulate | Employment Visa | Employment Visa during Ban | Employment Visa Renew | Employment Visa Stamping-new | Employment rules |E-Signature Card | FAQs-Visa | Family Visa Abu Dhabi | Family Visa-Ajman | Family Visa Cancellation | Family Visa-Dubai | Family Visa hold | Family Visa Renew | Family Visa Sharjah | Family Visa Stamping-After Entry | Fines | Freehold Property Visa | Free Zones | Fujairah Free Zone | General Trading | Gratuity | Housemaid Affidavit | Husband's Residence Visa | Immigration Clearance | Immigration Establishment Card | Immigration Card Renew | Immigration Card Amendment | Immigration Card Lost | Immigration Office | Immigration Services | Important Telephone Numbers | Import Code | Indian Maid- Change Visa inside UAE | India Tourist Visa | Industrial Projects | Inheritance | International Driving Permit | Investor Visa | Investor Visa Stamping | Investor Visa Renew | Investor/Partner Visa Cancellation | IVS Global | Jebel Ali Free Zone | Labour Card Renewal l Labour Contract | Labour Contract FAQs | Labour Contract-New (after entry) | Labour Dispute | Labour Establishment Card | Labour Establishment Card Amendment | Labour Law | Labour Services | Legalization at UAE Embassy | License Cancellation | License Modification at DM | License Renewal - Contracting | Limited Contract | LLC formation | Local Service Agent | Location Change (license) | Loss of Passport | Lost Labour Card | Lost Reporting | Maid from Nepal | Maid from Sri Lanka | Maid Visa-New | Maid Visa Stamping | Maid Visa Renewal | Map of Consulates | Maternity Leave | Marriage Solemnization at Consulate | Media License Medical Facility Licensing | Medical Treatment Visa | Medical Test | Mission Visa | Modify Contractor Regn.-Foreign Co.| MoH & DoH Exams | Multiple Entry Visa | Municipality Activities | Municipality Exam | Municipality Services | Newborn Baby's Passport | Newborn Baby's Visa | New Contracting Lic | NOC for issuance of Passport for Child | Notarization | Notice Period | NRI Certificate | Nursery | Occupational Disease | Occupational Health Card | OK to Board | Online Service | Out Pass | Overtime | Parents Visa-New | Parents Visa Stamping-After Entry | Parents Visa Renew Partnership Agreements | Partner Visa | Part-time Job | Passport in Maiden Name | Passport in Married Name | Passport Lost | Passport Renewal-Ind | Passport Additional Booklet | Passport Validity Extension | PCC Attestation-UAE Embassy Delhi | PCC Dubai | PCC-India | PCC Out of Country | Pharmacist Exam | Pharmacy License | Photo Change | Police Clearance Certificate-UAE | Police Related Services | Power of Attorney | Probation Period | PRO Card-DED | PRO Card -Immig | PRO Card-Labor | Profession Change | Professional Firm | Professional License | Professions | Real Estate License | Registration of Engineer-DM | Re-entry | Removing Partner & Adding Partner in LLC Lic | Residence Visa | Resignation | RTA Related Business Activities | RTA Related Services | Salary Certificate Attestation | Salary Increment | Saudi Visa | Servant Visa | Severance Pay | Sharjah Visa rules | Sole Establishment | Sponsorship Declaration | Spouse Name Endorsement | Status Change | Student Visa | Surrender of Indian Passport | Tas'heel Centers-MOL | Tas'heel Business Center-for DED Services | Tatkaal Passport | Tawasul Card new | Tawasul Card Renew | TC Attestation-Consulate | Teenager Visa | Termination of Contract | Thailand Visa | Theft Car | Tourist Visa | Trademark Registration | Transfer Visa from old Passport to new | Transit Visa | Trade License | Trade License Renewal | Translation | UAE Embassies World-wide | UAE Legal System | UK VisaCentre-Dubai | Umrah Visa | Undertaking for Studies | Unpaid Salary | Validation letter-Driving LicenseVisa Cancellation-Employment |  Visa Cancellation-Investor/Partner | Visa Change-Hatta | Visa for Step-child | Visa on Arrival-Dubai | Visa on Arrival-India | Visa on Arrival-Qatar | Visa Position Amendment | Visas of two countries | Visa Renew-son above 18 years old | Visa Transfer | Visa Transfer-Child | Visa Transfer-wife | Visit Affidavit for Family Member | Visit Visa | Will Attestation | Work in UAE | Work Permit | Work Permit for relative sponsored | more


First Gate Business Service, 5 BF, 5th Floor, Gate 4, Hamarain Centre, Muraqabat, Deira, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Tel: +971-4-239 7363, Email: